“Our duty to the people we serve is to work together to move from fear of each other to trust in each other. Diversity in all its forms is an asset, not a threat.”
António Guterres, Secretary General of the United Nations
The TOGETHER initiative
TOGETHER is a global initiative led by the United Nations that wants to change negative perceptions and attitudes towards refugees and migrants, and to strengthen the social contract between host countries and communities, and refugees and migrants.
In the New York Declaration, all 193 UN Member States unanimously welcomed TOGETHER and committed to implementing the campaign. TOGETHER will run until the signing of two separate Global Compacts, one on Refugees and one on Migrants, in the second half of 2018. These compacts seek to regulate how the world will address large movements of people.
- TOGETHER engages and mobilizes global citizens to show support for refugees and migrants.
- TOGETHER speaks to communities hosting refugees and migrants as well as people concerned that refugees and migrants may bring physical and economic insecurity to their lives.
- TOGETHER creates a strong, persuasive narrative of solidarity toward refugees and migrants and showcases the shared benefits of migration to economies and nations, while also acknowledging legitimate concerns of host communities.
- TOGETHER provides a platform for stories of and by refugees and migrants and host communities that have benefitted from welcoming them. TOGETHER tells stories of children on the move.
- TOGETHER helps host communities and refugees and migrants to know each other better.